2017 CLIDE Awards: Call for Applications
The Center of Development Excellence is pleased to announce the eighth cycle of the biennial Celebrating Leadership In Development Excellence (CLIDE) Awards Program. We invite public and private entities, including cities, developers, architects, planners, engineers, and others, to submit applications for this prestigious regional award program.
We received many applications of outstanding projects and programs from the North Central Texas region that exemplify the Principles of Development Excellence and help ensure a sustainable North Texas. Applicants will be sent letters notifying them whether they were selected as 2017 CLIDE Award recipients. The 2017 CLIDE Awards will be presented to the recipients at the North Central Texas Council of Governments' General Assembly on June 16, 2017.
Awards will be considered for the following categories with emphasis on the Principles of Development Excellence. All five categories are open to all eligible entities, organizations, and individuals, including both public- and private-sector entities.
Note: The CLIDE Awards jury reserves the right to determine the number of recipients for each category.
1. New Development*
Recognizes developments that are constructed on previously undeveloped sites and that successfully exemplify many of the Principles of Development Excellence.
Recognizes those developments that reuse and/or rebuild existing structures, and that successfully exemplify many of the Principles of Development Excellence.
3. Special Development*
Recognizes projects that exemplify only a limited number (one or two) of the Principles of Development Excellence, but which are outstanding in their promotion of those selected principles. Projects that exemplify the Environmental Stewardship principle may be highlighted here. Examples include but are not limited to a sustainable infrastructure project, an energy conservation initiative, an open space or trail project, or a stormwater best management practice (BMP) such as low-impact development (LID).
4. Raising Public Awareness
Recognizes an organization and/or individual for educating the public or raising awareness of development excellence. Submittals may include but are not limited to:
- A media outlet in the North Central Texas region for a story or series;
- An organization or a local government for a public education campaign.
5. Public Policy and Planning
Recognizes a local government or private/public partnership for implementing a program or policy that facilitates and promotes various aspects of the Principles of Development Excellence. Submittals may include but are not limited to:
- Adopted policies, programs, ordinances, and guidelines (mixed use, open space, natural features protection, public space, historic preservation, design standards, or incentives) that can include a public/private initiative;
- Comprehensive, neighborhood, area, or strategic plans.
*Note: New Development, Redevelopment, or Special Development submittals may include but are not limited to large- and small-scale projects; single or multiple buildings; residential, mixed use, commercial, or transportation projects; and recreational and public developments.
A distinguished panel of jurors composed of nationally respected professionals in the fields of architecture, planning, and development will select the CLIDE Award recipients from the eligible applications submitted. Winners will be notified and invited to the North Central Texas Council of Governments’ General Assembly on June 16, 2017, where the awards will be presented.
The following eligibility requirements apply to the 2017 CLIDE Awards submissions:
- The submissions must be received by 5 p.m. CT on March 17, 2017;
- Only online submissions will be accepted;
- Submitted projects or activities must be in the North Central Texas region (see the map at www.nctcog.org/regional_map.asp);
- Submitted projects or activities must exemplify or promote one or more of the Principles of Development Excellence and must promote the Center of Development Excellence’s mission;
- Joint or team applications are encouraged, where applicable, with all major project participants identified in the submission;
- Competing applications for the same project or activity will not be accepted;
- Submissions will be accepted from both public- and private-sector applicants;
- For an entry in the New Development, Redevelopment, or Special Development category, the project must, at minimum, be under construction by the submission deadline of March 17, 2017;
- For an entry in the Raising Public Awareness category, the program/campaign/publication must have been aired/published/distributed by the submission deadline of March 17, 2017;
- For an entry in the Public Policy and Planning category, the program/policy/plan must be adopted by the local government by the submission deadline of March 17, 2017.
Important Information About the Application Process
The online application must be completed in one session. You cannot save your work and come back to the application at another time. To help you prepare your answers before beginning the online application, we have created an application worksheet. (It is on page 4 of the Call for Applications PDF.) The questions are listed in the same order as they appear in the online application, but you may be able to skip some questions in the application based on your answers to earlier questions.
We suggest that you prepare your answers in a separate document before you begin the application. For lengthy answers, copy and paste your answers into the answer field of each section. (Note that there are word count limits for certain questions.)
You may submit additional documents for consideration after you have submitted the application. Additional documents are not required, and may be reviewed by the jury only if necessary to assist them in their deliberations. A tip for preparing your application: Remember that the jurors will have a limited amount of time to review applications and additional documents. Be succinct, and choose your additional documents carefully!
After you submit your application, you will also need to print and sign a permissions and disclaimer form.